Once again, I watched an NHL game and found 2 common mistakes that I constantly remind my players of during practice and games.
Watch the video below and then I'll dissect it further. Make sure you watch at :03-:05 seconds and see if you find the 2 mistakes (make it 3 if you count the Goalie, watch at :43 seconds on to see it):
In this play, I see 2 glaring mistakes that result in a bad goal.
- Poor Puck Support by the Defenseman
- Poor Decision by Crosby on when and more importantly, HOW to move the puck.
- Letang is already at the middle of the circles
- 2 Boston players are coming up the ice
- He also has to know those 2 Boston players are coming at him
- He rushes to try to slap it out of the air. He has to stop that puck and control it first. Once he does that, he has two options:
- Throw it back down the wall
- Push it back to the Supporting D (if he was in position)
The last mistake I see on this play is the Goalie. If you watch the angle from behind the net (~:43 seconds) Vokoun starts cheating back to the middle and leaves the glove side exposed. I'm not a goalie and maybe this is the correct play but I have to think he needs to protect that side.